BULLETIN NO. 2000-5

TO:                       All  Licensed Companies

SUBJECT:           Gramm-Leach-Bliley Privacy Regulations

DATE:                  October 10, 2000

In the 2000 legislative session, the Kansas Legislature made it an unfair trade practice under K.S.A. 40-2401, et seq., for a person to "disclose any nonpublic personal information to a nonaffiliated third party contrary to the provisions of title V of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act of 1999 (public law 106-102)."  The Legislature charged me with issuing rules and regulations to enforce this provision.  In the meantime, federal regulators have issued rules and regulations to enforce the provisions of title V of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act of 1999 (public law 106-102) ("title V") upon other financial institutions.  These federal regulators have extended the effective date of their regulations to July 1, 2001.

Therefore, in the interests of uniformity and fairness, I intend to extend the effective date of the regulations I issue to enforce title V to July 1, 2001.  Although the Kansas Insurance Department is in the process of issuing regulations, this department will not enforce these regulations until they are effective or July 1, 2001, whichever is later.